Sunday, October 6, 2013

Portrait and Figure Studio,October 3, 2013


We are always pleased when a pregnant woman agrees to sit for us.  We decided the title for the works we produced today should be titled "Three Weeks to Go".

We started with two four minute sketches.  I did mine with watercolor.

6.5 by 8.5 inches (16.51 by 21.59 cm)

6.5 by 8.5 inches (16.51 by 21.59 cm)

Both of the above were painted without any drawing first.

When I started the longer pose, I spent the first twenty minutes sketching with a Derwent pink watercolor pencil.  By brushing paint and water on  the lines they disappeared as I continued on the portrait.

The second twenty minutes were spent adding the general color in a manner similar to what I did in the four minute sketches.  The rest of the time was spent refining the shapes.  At the end I added details such as the eyes, curls, and sandals.

11 by 9 inches (27.94 by 22.86 cm)

These are all painted on white 140 weight watercolor paper.  For the skin I used mostly MaimeriBlu  Permanent Orange and MaimeriBlu Orange Lake.  The pants were painted with Quinacridone Gold with a little Winsor & Newton Warm Sepia added.  The shirt is Stephen Quiller Ultramarine Blue Deep.  The hair and the chair are mostly Warm Sepia.

1 comment: