Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Watercolor Portrait for a Friend


I was glad my friend liked this 8 X 10 painting of her mother.  The baby is  my friend's son.



The photograph I used as a starting point was this one which is about three and one half inches across and the same vertically.

Thanks to the marvelous computer, I was able to enlarge the photo, crop it, and adjust the color.


In the first watercolor, I decided to emphasize the faces and darken the rest of the painting.  I wasn't thinking about it being hung by another painting I had done in 2009.


What my friend had in mind was something more similar to the one I painted in 2009, a painting of her husband's mother and the other son.


I started again, this time using lighter, brighter colors.


A commission is about pleasing the buyer.  I am happy the second one pleased her.

1 comment: