Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Friday, June 1, 2018 at Cedar Bog


Tom, our friend, Pat, and I wanted to see the Showy Lady's Slippers. (Cypripedium reginae)  Since Tom and I have come to the bog,( which is really a fen,) quite a few times, we knew where they would be.


Tom headed off ahead of Pat and me.  We took time to look at other things along the way.
The large plant to the left of the boardwalk is a Great Angelica.(Angelica atropurpurea)

There is a closer look.





Pat liked these masses of tiny white flowers.  We meant to ask what they were when we returned to the Education Center but we forgot. I think someone told me a long time ago that they were Flowering Spurge.  Sometimes I remember correctly. 😀

Here is a closer look at them.


Pat and I both like to look at all kinds of wild things.  We saw quite a few of these dragonflies.  This morning I checked in my copy of Dragonflies through Binoculars and learned that this is a Common Whitetail female.  (Libellula lydia)  We saw the males, too but I didn't get a photo of one.






The white line is the boardwalk.  When we came to the fork we went right because I knew we were close to the Lady Slippers.  Tom was out of sight.  I really wanted to find him because I was beginning to be bothered by insects.  The  insect repellent was in the back pocket of his power chair.  I didn't find him but I found the Lady Slippers.



Pat loved them.  I knew she would.

About then Tom found us.  He came up behind us.  He had taken the fork to the left and turned back when we didn't catch up with him.

We all used the insect repellent, then headed back to the van.  thunderstorms were predicted.

This is how the sky looked above the parking lot.  There were a few drops of rain by the time we were settled in the van.


Surprisingly, those raindrops were the end of the rain until hours later.  But how were we to know?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Lady Slippers! Ours will bloom in about a week or 10 days, I always look forward to that! :)

    ReplyDelete