Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Birthday, Samantha


When I think of reading to you when you were young I think of poetry. First I read Mother Goose rhymes to you. Then I found an old poetry book I had read to your mom when she was young. Its cover was taped on with masking tape so when I came across a newer edition, I bought it.
 

By the time you were in kindergarten, you wanted something different so I found a poetry book whose title, Sing a Song of Popcorn, I remembered from a Children's Literature class.


Remember the Jumblies? The refrain was...

     Far and few, far and few,
        Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
     Their heads are green and their hands are blue,
        And they went to sea in a sieve.

The poet is Edward Lear.
.
Click on the picture to get a better look at the Jumblies.

No comments:

Post a Comment