Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Visit from My Grandson...June 26,27,28

Steve came to visit.  It has been a while since I have seen him.  We had a good time. 

I made a strawberry pie using fresh strawberries cut up, dumped into a jello, cornstarch, sugar and water mixture.  I dumped the filling into a ready-made graham cracker pie crust and put the pie in the refrigerator.  By the end of the weekend Steve and I ate most of it.  We took one piece to Eleanor, the neighbor across the street.  I never thought about taking a photo of it.  It has been a long time since I have been thinking about blogs as I go through the day.

I did get some photos when Steve, Jeanne, and I walked at Charleston Falls on Saturday morning.  


It is between blooming seasons.  The early flowers are finished blooming and the showy prairie flowers are just beginning to show buds.  But there were oxeye daisies along the trail around Cedar Pond.


And Steve spotted a lone Deptford Pink.


On Saturday afternoon, Steve and I visited Bill who lives nearby.  Bill let Steve run the CSX engine on his track.  It was the first time Steve had run the engine.  It was a birthday gift from his Meemaw in Florida.  He and Bill enjoyed talking in that special model railroad fans' language which I only partly understand.  Lots of references to numbers of engines that I don't understand at all.  Steve had a wonderful time.  Bill was happy to talk with Steve.  It sounded like it had been a long time since either one of them had had a good session with someone who understood their hobby.  Steve and Bill social distanced but Steve kept his face mask under his chin in case someone else showed up.


The next morning, Steve and I checked out Herrlinger Park.  He has been going to this park since he was a preschooler.  A railroad track runs along one side of it.  We met a woman who came to feed the squirrels.  She brings her brother to see the trains.  He likes to take photos of them.

Two long freight trains click-clacked by.  Steve tells me about the engines and what is special about the various cars.  His cell phone has a railroad scanner aps so he knows when the trains are coming.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Pauline, So nice that Steve came to visit! Your strawberry pie sounds like the one I used to make...have not made it in a long time. Hope you have a good 4th of JUly:)

    ReplyDelete