Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Back to Painting...A Rose Using Watercolor...June 23, 2020


My son sent me a bouquet of roses and other flowers for my birthday.  I decided to paint a sketch of one rose for a thank you note I was sending to a niece.


First I cropped a rose from the bouquet.



Next I used a pink Staedtler watercolor pencil to sketch the rose.  I like to do my sketching with a watercolor pencil because the lines blend into the watercolor as I paint.



For this sketch, I used analogous colors (colors found side by side on a color wheel) for the rose.  For the leaves, I used a complementary color...a green on the opposite side of the color wheel.



The red/pink colors I used were Permanent rose, Quinacridone red, and Alizarin Crimson.  The green is Winsor green dulled a bit by Quinacridone red.  I also used a bit of Aurelion yellow on the leaves.  Aurelion is a pale yellow with a greenish tinge.




2 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful card! You are so talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It feels good to be painting. I have missed it.

      Delete