Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Plein Air Painting...Friday, June 24

On Friday, Marsha and I agreed to meet at Lost Creek Reserve to paint. Lost Creek Reserve is now the site of the Main Office of the Miami County Parks District. The offices are in a beautiful 1890's farmhouse.

As I turned in the long lane that leads to the public parking, I met Donna. I was pleased to see her. She is another friend and fellow artist. We haven't seen one another for a long time. She had come to paint, too. She brought her eight year old granddaughter, Hayley, with her. Hayley had a bag of painting supplies, too.


Marsha and Hayley decided to work on the big front porch. There were comfortable chairs to sit on. As it turned out, there were a few sprinkles of rain during the time that we had our plein air session so being on the roof-covered porch was fortuitous.


Here is a close-up of Marsha's painting in progress. She took a photo so she could finish up at home.


Donna elected to paint from the front seat of her van. This was a good choice, too, because of the rain.


Here Donna is working on her second sketch of the day.


I chose to make a sketch using, first, pencil, and then, a Micron Pen No. 08. This swing is on another of the house's porches. (There is a third porch as well.)


Hayley and I were ready to stop before Marsha and Donna, so, while they spent another forty minutes finishing up, Hayley and I walked down to Lost Creek which gives the park its name.


The creek was swollen from recent rains. Hayley said it looked more like a river than a creek.


Hayley was intrigued with the sycamore seed balls she found.


She found other treasures,too which she carried back to show her grandma. After this picture was taken, she ran back and deposited her treasures under a sycamore tree near the area where she had found them.

For me this was an ideal morning. I sketched, and I walked in the woods with a young friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment