Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Portrait From a Photo, Part 3




This is the photo I used for reference.


 This is the completed drawing on tracing paper with the grid beneath it.

There are many ways to transfer the drawing to the watercolor paper.  I will demonstrate two.

Turn the tracing paper drawing over and use cover the back with graphite as demonstrated in the photo below.




Turn the tracing paper drawing back to the right side, lay it on the watercolor paper (or whatever surface has been chosen) and carefully  tape the tracing paper to the watercolor paper so neither will move during the next step.



Trace on all the lines you want with a number two pencil. When you take off the tracing paper drawing, the lines have  been transferred to the watercolor paper because of the graphite you laid down on the back side.  In this example, I traced only a few lines because I intend to use the next technique instead of this one.  However, the pencil lead transfer method is an excellent one because the materials are always at hand.


There is also Transfer Paper which can be laid between the watercolor paper and the drawing. Do not use Carbon Paper which is different and doesn't erase.  Put the colored surface on the watercolor paper and lay the drawing on top.




It is important in all tracing work that all the sheets involved in the tracing are securely in place.  If any of the surfaces move during the tracing process the drawing will not be accurate.  Quilters use similar techniques and so do people who embroider and those who do woodworking.


Please leave any comments or questions on this blog and I will discuss them in a later blog.  See "About making a comment" under Labels to the right of this blog if  you have difficulty in leaving a message.

4 comments:

  1. Very creative. Nicely done. I wish I was so talented. My daughter received the art gene in our family - it bypassed me. I'm probably the only person who ever failed art in grade school:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way this captures her expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment. I was concerned about getting that expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is extremely fascinating substance! I have completely delighted in perusing your focuses and have reached the conclusion that you are right about a hefty portion of them. You are extraordinary. france pac environnement avis

    ReplyDelete