Thursday, July 31, 2014

Brukner Nature Center, Butterfly Transit, July 26, 2014

Thank you, Phil, for sending the following photos.  I didn't come for the transit walk because I was watching a grandson and his dog compete at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus.

Common Wood Nymph (Cercyonis pegala)--Wingspan 1.8-2.8 inches (4.6-7.1 cm)


I like this photo because it shows the delicate vein pattern in the wings.

Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta) Wingspan: 0.80-1.25 inches (2.0-3.2 cm)

There can be two or more broods of Summer Azures during the summer.

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) Wingspan: 1.75-2.40 inches (4.4-6.1 cm)

Many butterflies, like this one and the Common Wood Nymph, nectar at Purple Coneflowers.

Giant Swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes)  Wingspan: 4.5-5.5 inches (11.4-14.0 cm)

I am really sorry I didn't get to see this butterfly.  It is one of the largest butterflies in North America.  It is in Ohio but not common.  I haven't seen one this year.

Phil took a photo of the upper side of the wings, and also took two nice photos of the underside.  The first time I saw a Giant Swallowtail I was really surprised to see how different its underside is from the upper side.




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful butterflies, not many up here this year. I saw a Monarch today, hope to get a photo soon:)

    ReplyDelete