Friday, October 6, 2017

A Listening Walk at Charleston Falls, October 3, 2017



I needed a break from life so I took a walk at Charleston Falls.  First I hiked through Octagon Prairie.  Grasshoppers hopped across my path, too fast for me to catch them with my camera.  I saw an Orange Sulphur Butterfly.  It was too fast to catch, too.  Then I noticed the sounds.  They were not too fast to catch... insects in a loud chorus of varied musical notes and the breeze adding intermittent swirls reminding me of violins.




When I walked into the woods, the insect chorus was not as loud but then I heard the clatter and plop of walnuts as the breeze blew them down through the crispy leaves of the trees. They hit the ground with loud thuds.  I was glad none fell on my head.


The stream above the falls flowed along quietly.


There was just enough water flowing over the falls to tickle the ears with a swishing sound accented by splashes as the water hit the rocks below.





1 comment: