Thursday, January 4, 2018

Vegetable Peelers

My mother never had a potato peeler.  She always used a paring knife to peel potatoes.

The summer I worked in the kitchen at a children's camp in the Poconos I learned to use a potato peeler like this.


I used one like this all the years our children were growing up.

Tom likes gadgets.  One year when we roamed around the Plant City, Florida Strawberry Festival  Tom saw a salesman demonstrate a different kind of peeler.  Tom bought two, one for me, one for my sister with whom we were staying.



We have been using this new "improved type"of vegetable peeler since then.  Tom told me that with age his hands were getting weaker and it was becoming difficult to peel apples and potatoes. I commiserated with him but didn't think much about it.

But Tom kept thinking about it.  One of my Christmas presents was an electric vegetable peeler.



Tom decided to make our meal on New Years Day...escalloped potatoes with ham and fried apples.  I think part of the reason for this was that he wanted to try out the electric vegetable peeler.

It works beautifully.  Plug it in.  Set the potato on the pointy base. Use the upper point to hold it in place.  Press the red button.


It works for apples, too.



The peelings are continuous and fascinating.


Dinner was delicious.

A new gadget is now sitting on our kitchen counter.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a cool kitchen tool! I bought a new hand held peeler it works much better than my one that is 48 years old. I bet you will make apples pies and think about how fast you could do a bunch of crabapples for jelly. Nice gift! :)

    ReplyDelete