Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Fungus Among Us Workshop

I was surprised to see that this is the first blog I have posted about Aullwood. I try to take one of their Adult Classes each year. This class was held October 13. Robb Clifford from the Darke County Parks was the instructor. His wife, Angie, helped him out. She knows a lot about fungi also.

After an introductory slide show, we headed out to find fungi. Here are a few that we found. I am using the common names as I remember them. I don't have a field guide to fungi although I ordered one online so I will have one soon. Robb recommended the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Mushrooms which he said was the one recommended by his professor at The Ohio State University.

                                Fresh Artist's Shelf

                              Bottom of Artist's Shelf.
                              This can be drawn on.

                           Robb called this Chicken Fat.  
                           The underside is bright yellow.

                              Dryad's Saddle.  
                              Supposedly wood nymphs sit on them
                              when they are tired from dancing.

                            Pear Puffballs, a small puffball.

                                       Shaggy Mane

                                  Turkey Tail

                                 Violet-toothed polypore.
                                 Toothed refers to the gill shape.

 
The edge of the bottom side is violet when fresh and gradually darkens as it ages. Robb and Angie told us lots of other facts about fungi but I'll save that for another day.

1 comment:

  1. We have lots of fungi up here..I am never quite sure which ones are ok and which ones will kill ya! Someone once told me that shelf fungi were delicious. Interesting workshop! :)

    ReplyDelete